Blogs, books, articles, podcasts…you name it, they abound.
And, they are often ignored. Or can be.
While it is certainly true that Scripture itself is both divinely designed and practically transforming (cf. 2 Timothy 3:16) to equip us for every good thing God knows will bring joy and fulfillment in our living, the Spirit has also provided additional channels of God’s wisdom.
Honestly, this generation has more excellent tools from God’s Spirit through the Body of Christ than any previous one.
For those who are willing to pursue wisdom as for hidden treasure (cf. Proverbs 2:1-6), there are mines in which to dig. Here are some solid reads which offer solid building materials for building storm-strong marriages and families.
Drs. Les and Leslie Parrot Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts: Seven Questions to Ask Before--and After--You Marry
* The Parrotts provide an excellent guide to preparing well for a quality marriage relationship. Excellent to use with a pastor and/or marriage mentors.
Norman Wright, Before You Say “I Do” Devotional
* This veteran marriage preparation counselor offers a great devotional guide for couples during their engagement months together.
Willard F. Harley, Jr. His Needs, Her needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage
* Dr. Harley deals wonderfully, practically with the 5 needs so important for both the wife and the husband, calling each to provide for the other in love. This is a great read for engaged couples as well.
Timothy F. Keller The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
* Keller’s thoughtful book deals well with marriage’s secret, power, essence, mission and other key aspects of being married.
George Barna, Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should be Your Church’s Priority. *This shorter book insightfully zeroes in on excellent practices to encourage the spiritual development of children.
Willard F. Harley, Jr. His Needs, Her Needs for Parents
* Harley speaks well to the opportunity couples do well to take to rekindle the romance and love, as well as a united approach to parenting.
Reggie Joiner, Carey Nieuwhof Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to A Wider Community
* this resource provides excellent perspectives and practical advice on parenting with great wisdom, urging the utilization of the great resources in the Body of Christ.
John Rosemond, Parenting By The Book: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child
* this is a unique book on parenting, speaking of both the deceptions which have been perpetrated about parenting, and how a truly Biblical approach can recover family life and build discipline and character.
RECOVERING and RENEWING MARRIAGES
Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott, When Bad Things Happen to Good Marriages
* This book speaks to the four things that can jolt good marriages, and how to take corrective and future preventative steps, in order to strengthen a good relationship.
Gary and Mona Shriver, Unfaithful: Rebuilding Trust after Infidelity
* The Shrivers share from the impact of infidelity in their own marriage, their struggle to move forward, and how they did through the strength they found in their faith.
Few good things happen when we merely read. Great things can become when we understand and take simple steps to use the wisdom God provides.
Pastor David Staff